Friday, October 24, 2014

Paintings....

This is a Oil painting depicting a small fisherman's boat caught up in a storm. It was probably one of those days when I would start with a blank mind without thinking much what I am going to paint and whether it would be worth showing or it goes to the garbage collector who shouts 'kudawala' and bangs on my rusty metal door every morning
Few times people have asked me why I painted it ....what was I thinking when I thought of this concept(a word obviously and mercilessly exploited by folks who are all architects and they never overcame the jury sessions of their college education and now have the word printed on their tonsils too)....though I don't know if it was a sarcasm or they were actually appreciating as I have failed to decode the facial expressions into words and sentences..I would always tell them that 'I wanted to paint a boat'....isn't that so simple an answer ...



My friends always have pointed out that I always end up painting eyes. Black, blue, red, brown and all colours of the palette..... open eyes, closed eyes, no eyes .. but why such an emphasis to eyes...don't you have anything else to paint. I say to them that eyes in itself are one of the most complete elements of the human body and its probably the most expressive medium gifted to us for communicating....I have heard it many a times that what words can't express eyes do and when eyes fail to express I don't know what or who does....probably neighbours (pun intended).....eyes say a million things and lips hide a million.



Then my friends asked me again why don't you show a complete face..always a half or partially hidden one. I said to them that isn't one half of the face enough to express and also I like viewers to guess what the other half of the face is doing..... lets say I want to give some room to assumptions too....let it find some more refuge in my paintings when the whole world is fueled by assumptions

No comments:

Post a Comment